Chicken and Shrimp Pho ~ Vietnamese Chicken Noodle Soup
I prefer my broth more delicately flavored, so the spices here are about half of what is generally seen in recipes. Taste and decide if you want to add more.
- 2 quarts Liquid Gold Chicken Stock Broth or store bought stock
- One pinch each cinnamon cardamom, white pepper, coriander, and star anise
- 2 cups cooked chicken shredded
- 8 ounces shrimp I prefer 20-30 per pound size for soup because they’re easy to eat, raw or cooked, peeled and deveined
- 4 ounces maifun aka rice stick, aka rice vermicelli available in the Asian section in any grocery store, soaked in hot water according to package directions.
- Suggested additions: basil mint, cilantro,
- slivered red onion shallot or scallion
- bean sprouts
- lime wedges
- thinly sliced fresh jalapeno
- hoisin chile sauce, garlic chile sauce and/or sriracha
Bring stock and spices to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
If shrimp are raw, add them to broth and let simmer until just cooked through 1-2 minutes.
Put a serving of shrimp, chicken, and rice noodles in each bowl and then ladle the hot broth over them.
Top with sprinklings or serve separately on the side.