Sheet Pan Orange Chicken recipe. One pan dinners are a terrific time saver, if you use the right technique to make sure each ingredient is cooked properly.
Yes, yes, I’m finally getting on board with the ‘one pan’ frenzy.
Don’t get me wrong, anything that reduces dishes is a winner in my opinion. HOWEVER, that shouldn’t come at the cost of a mediocre dinner that could have been fantastic if you had one more pan.
You might remember the review I did of the cookbook One Pan Wonders.
The biggest mistake a lot of recipes make is to overcook things, especially the veg.
Call me crazy but I like my veggies to still have a little bit of texture to them.
If I want gum-able mushy veg, I would have cooked frozen vegetables.
Anyone else a child of the 70s? I’m still scarred by the bags of frozen mixed vegetables. *gag*
So, while my ‘one pan’ recipes might only use one pan, I don’t just throw it all in the oven. I space out the cooking time so that nothing gets ruined.
For this delicious sweet and tangy Sheet Pan Orange Chicken, first the oranges and chicken with sauce get started…
Then halfway through the chicken cooking, you add the broccoli. Here I’m using broccoli rabe aka aspiration…
To give the sheet pan dinner it’s due, the best part is line the sheet pan with parchment or foil and you don’t even have to clean one pan!
Be sure to use heavy duty sheet pans, and not a jelly roll or baking pan. They aren’t as sturdy and will warp at high heat. Then they won’t be good for jelly rolls and such. I got them cheap at Sam’s Club, or these are good too:
Sheet Pan Orange Chicken
- 1 orange halved and thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless chicken thighs 5 to 6 thighs
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup Thai sweet chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 1- inch piece ginger peeled and minced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pound broccoli/broccoli rabe/aspiration
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Line a sheet pan with foil for easy cleanup.
- Put thighs on the sheet pan with space in between them. Season with salt and pepper.
- Mix sweet chili sauce, soy sauce, ginger and garlic.
- Spoon onto chicken.
- Put sheet pan in oven and cook for 10 minutes.
- Carefully add broccolini to sheet pan
- Cook until chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes.