The seasons they are a’ changin’. Finally!
My tastes always change with the season. Not that I don’t want lasagna in the summer occasionally, but I definitely start craving lighter foods when it’s warmer.
That’s me though, my clients are all over the place. I have some that want sushi in winter and stew in the summer. To each their own!
This pasta dish is a delicious change from the heavier meat and tomato sauces we’ve been having for the last few months.
Creamy Tortellini with Lemon and Snap Peas is hearty with cheese filled plump fresh tortellini, chock full of spring veggies and bright lemon, and guaranteed to get you into a sunny mood even if the weather isn’t actually there yet.
Plus it’s one pot and quick, quick, quick!
Refrigerated Tortellini Not Dried
Be sure to use fresh tortellini. It will be in the refrigerated section of the grocery store, probably near the block and shredded cheese display. The bags of dried tortellini on the shelf with the jarred sauce are not worth your time.
Veggie It Up
Peas, asparagus, and snap peas are deliciously green in this dish. You can also add a chopped fresh tomato, thinly sliced zucchini, or any other veg that you have or sounds good.
If you don’t want to bother with topping the finished pasta with the parmesan and lemon zest, you can stir them right into the sauce.
Or if you want more, double the amounts and put half in the sauce and then top the finished pasta with both.
Don’t Forget The Wine!
This pasta dish is also perfect to herald back white wine if you’ve been stuck on red all winter.
A nice unoaked chardonnay, pinot grigio or even a lemony verdejo will get you back in the sunny groove!
Looking for other lighter dishes? Try
Creamy Tortellini with Lemon and Snap Peas
- ½ cup peas
- ½ pound asparagus trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 4-6 ounces stringless snap peas cut in half
- 1 pound fresh cheese tortellini
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Salt to taste
- ½ cup shredded parmesan
- Zest from ½ a lemon
- Optional: 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley basil or a combo
- Fill a large Dutch oven or 4 quart pot with water, to about three inches from the top.
- Bring to a boil and add a tablespoon of salt.
- Put a colander in the sink and put the frozen peas in it.
- Add asparagus to boiling water and cook for 1 minute.
- Add tortellini and snap peas and cook for 2 minutes.
- Drain tortellini over the peas. Return empty pot to stove over medium heat.
- Add broth and butter.
- Whisk milk and flour together and add to pot.
- Bring to a boil and cook until thickened just a minute or two.
- Turn off stove, return pasta and veg to pot and stir gently into sauce. Serve topped with parmesan, lemon zest and herbs if using.