These Brown Sugar Spice Pecan cookies are everything a tasty holiday cookie should be. Warm spices like cinnamon and nutmeg, plenty of brown sugar, and fresh Texas pecans in a cookie that soft on the inside and crispy at the edges. Hello my next 5 pounds of holiday weight!
This time of year is special for a a lot of reasons. Whether you have a religious celebration or not, people take time to think about selflessness and family. To that end, there is a special event going on.
‘Tis the Sweetest Season! Each year, a group of food bloggers get together online to share a bevy of holiday cookie recipes! For this year’s virtual cookie exchange, we’re hoping to make a difference in the fight against pediatric cancer, too.
You want to hear something god awful? Cancer is the #1 disease that kills children BUT 12 types of children’s cancer COMBINED received less than 4% of The National Cancer Institute’s federal budget.
Yes, boobs got over three times that much. Now I love my boobs as much as the next gal but listen to this:
Eight of the twelve MAJOR types of pediatric cancer have a lower than 80% SURVIVAL RATE.
That’s not counting all the MINOR types of children’s cancer. Because I guess some types of children’s cancer aren’t major? Sure, sure, ask their parents how minor they think their child’s cancer is.
Two thirds of children who undergo cancer treatment develop long-term side effects, many life threatening, as a result of treatment.
Cookies for Kid’s Cancer was formed by parents of a child with cancer who wanted to help raise funds to research safer, more effective treatments for children. The mom and a team of volunteers made 96,000 cookies and raised $400,000.
I’ve made these cookies to help support this program. I’ve made my donation. Will you please support this worthwhile cause?
Any amount helps fund pediatric cancer research. To date nearly $15 million has been raised and granted to pediatric cancer centers across the country resulting in the development of THIRTY SEVEN treatments available to kids battling cancer RIGHT NOW.
Thank you for your support. Happy holidays and I wish you and yours a healthy, happy, prosperous new year!
- 2 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- Teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¾ cup butter, softened
- 1 ½ cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups finely chopped pecans, about 8 ounces
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment or a silicone liner.
- Stir together dry ingredients.
- Cream butter and sugar toogether. Blend in egg and vanilla.
- Reduce speed to low and add dry ingredients mixing until just combined.
- Put chopped pecans into a small bowl. Using a small cookie scoop (about 1 tablespoon) scoop a ball of dough and press into nuts. Place on cookie sheet, nuts up.
- Bake for 12 minutes. Remove to rack to cool.