Even though it’s 8:41am and I’m drinking coffee, writing about Better Than Takeout Chipotle’s Barbacoa Beef is still making me hungry. It’s that good. So good that even coffee breath doesn’t deter the longing.
I probably say this about every food, but chuck roast is one of my favs to cook. There are so many ways to prepare it and it’s so flavorful plus it’s inexpensive. The size and versatility of chuck make it a great protein to incorporate into your regular rotation because you can get two or more meals out of it that are different enough so that no one will complain about leftovers.
Sure you can have this delicious shredded beef as tacos or burritos, and other Mexican dishes like enchiladas topped with red or green sauce, with eggs for some epic huevos rancheros, and nachos but don’t overlook other great things like loaded grilled cheese sandwiches, soup, chili, and BBQ beef sandwiches.
Click here to download this week’s freebie printable for BBQ Beef Sandwiches. It includes a quick barbecue sauce and slaw recipes, wine pairing, tips and suggestions.
As a side note, the perfect accompaniment is, is of course, Chipotle’s cilantro lime rice. The secret ingredient by the way is butter. Cook white rice as you usually do including a tablespoon of butter with the rice. When it’s finished, stir in the juice of a lime and a few tablespoons of cilantro. Voila!
- 5 pounds chuck eye roast, cut into four pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons Mexican oregano
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon chile powder, preferably ancho chile
- 1 small to medium onion, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 chipotle chiles, minced and
- 2 tablespoons sauce
- ½ cup broth or beer
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce (optional)
- 1 – 2 cups rice
- Optional for serving ~ add to grocery list: lime wedges, cilantro, sour cream, shredded cheese or a Mexican queso fresco, avocado, tomato, salsa, pico
- Put chuck in pressure cooker. Mix salt through chile powder and rub all over beef.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Lock pressure cooker and set to manual cook for 45 minutes.
- Quick release pressure and carefully remove beef to large mixing bowl.
- If you have more than two cups of sauce, flip pressure cooker to sauté or turn heat up to high and let sauce reduce while you shred the beef with two forks.
- Divide beef in half. Sauce half of the beef and serve over rice or with tortillas.
- Let other half cool, put in a lidded container or ziplock and refrigerate for another dinner or freeze
Enter your email address to download Chef Shelley's BBQ Beef Sandwiches freebie.
Including BBQ sauce recipe, quick slaw recipe, wine pairing, tips and more!