There are two kinds of people in the world. Which one are you?
Well okay there are lots of different kinds of people in the world, but this is a huge dividing factor. Bigger than Trump or Hillary. Bigger than chocolate or peanut butter… So which side are you on?
Pineapple on pizza. Yes please! or You’ve gotta be out of your freakin’ mind!
If you’re not firmly entrenched on the pineapple side, this sandwich might not be for you. But if you think you won’t like it but you like a ham when it’s cooked with pineapple on it, give it a chance!
I had this sandwich a million years ago at a restaurant called Peabody’s that mom would sometimes stop at after my piano lessons. I heart this sandwich so hard that it’s been about 35ish years since I’ve had it and I still remember it vividly. The savory onion roll, dreamy cream cheese, salty ham, more chese, because well CHEESE, and the sweet and tangy stylings of the fresh pineapple. It is a flavor combination that has stuck with me through all these years.
So here it is, The Peabody, an homage to a now defunct restaurant that left an indelible mark on an impressionable kid.
And the best part is, I don’t have to take piano lessons to have it.
As an aside, do you see those chips? Microwave! Technique coming soon so stay tuned. Not getting these updates by email? Sign up below.
- 4 onion rolls
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 8 ounce package Philadelphia cream cheese
- 4 slices of ham, not too thin, not too thick, you know sandwich slice
- 4 slices fresh pineapple, about ½ inch, core removed
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- Warm 12"skillet over medium heat.
- Cut onion rolls in half if not already split. Butter each cut side.
- Place in hot skillet, cut side down and let toast until good an golden brown.
- Put bottoms of onion rolls, cut side up, on cookie sheet. (line with foil for easy clean up) Spread evenly with cream cheese. Top each with 1 slice ham, then 1 slice pineapple then one slice swiss.
- Broil until cheese is deliciously melt.
- Top with other half of onion roll and eat!